Saturday, April 18, 2009

Spring Has Sprung, the Grass Has Riz, I Wonder Where the Garbage Is?

I know that it has been spring for nearly a month now, at least on the technical side, but it seemed like we suffered endless cold, wet, rainy days.  We did enjoy a few nice days, the kind that encourage teenage girls to wear short shorts and make all the students say "I can't work.  It's too nice outside," to which I reply "Then it will be a long haul to June."  Today, we went for the first walk I have taken this spring.  The grass has greened, the forsythia is blooming, and the weeping willows are expectantly green.  The trees on the hills look fuzzy white, as if they're just thinking about budding.  

It would have been a beautiful walk, if it hadn't been for the trash.  You would think a small town, like Amenia, would be sort of Rockwellian, with freshly painted house, families eating in their dining rooms, and tidy lawns.  However, Amenians appear to believe that trash should be flung from their cars onto the side of the road:  beer cans, potato chip bags, coffee cups.  I think one of my next gifts to the environment should be a trip down Perrys Corners Road with a garbage bag (and some latex gloves).  I guess I'll start small, as always, with the beer can in my front yard...

No comments: