Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Proclamation

I will purchase no more bleached diapers.  I confess that I don't remember why bleach is bad, and I'll review that point later.  I think it just produces chemicals that go into our water and waste stream and contribute to the mounting toxicity of our planet.  This is not as big a sacrifice as it sounds, but I feel good realizing that it's true.  Duncan still has a ways to go with potty training, but he's still spending all day in underwear, which means he's down to one diaper a day.  For one diaper a day, I'll stick with our Seventh Generation unbleached pull ups.  We do have a pack of Pampers Pull-Ups to get rid of so he'll wear those, but that's it.  I'm finished.  No more bleached diapers, EVER.  (I'd donate the Pampers to a homeless shelter, but they're already open.  Does anyone know if they'll take them?)  I have a similar issue with cleaning fluids.  Once you've got them, you can't just throw them down the drain or into the garbage.  It's better just to use them until they're gone.  The problem is, I really don't want to use them now.  But I will, grudgingly, and then I'll move on.  Good bye, environmentally unfriendly disposable bleached diapers; hello, tiny loads of teeny underwear covered in poop and boiled in the washing machine.  I guess maybe my next step should be a clothes line, even if it's just for Duncan's clothes and the sheets and towels...we can hang it right next to the solar cooker.

No comments: