Sunday, May 3, 2009

Homeward Bound

I was sad to leave San Francisco, but I miss Jamie and Duncan, and I’m ready to get back to work for what remains of the term. Unfortunately, it’s overcast today (at least so far). On our trip out, I was literally awestruck by the topography of the United States; meandering rivers, snow-topped, rocky mountain ranges, and acres upon acres of agricultural land are a sight I don’t see often. Maybe the air will clear so I’ll be able to see a little of the middle of the country.

In the times I have flown since 9/11, I have not felt particularly stripped of my civil rights. Sure, it feels a little strange to talk off my shoes to go through security, and it’s a slight inconvenience to remove my laptop from my bag, but I have felt that those actions were necessary precautions. Today, the whole experience made me cranky. The security staff at San Francisco International were cranky. I forgot I was wearing my wallet, I had to surrender my Diet Coke, and Bob got wanded and patted down for no apparent reason except, perhaps, that something about his height set off the detector. On the other hand, the Delta staff did eventually manage to get Bob a bulk head seat so he is flying in relative comfort after being crammed in the middle seat on our way to San Francisco. We will be happy to see JFK and begin making our way back to home sweet home.

No comments: