Friday, May 1, 2009

Green on the West Coast

In my (very) limited experience, it is easier to make greener choices in San Francisco.

Many garbage cans are also equipped to collect recyclables.  I haven't seen one of these before, and it's such a simple concept that I don't understand why they're not everywhere.


The hotel has recycling bins outside the elevator on each floor.  Also, rather than distributing free newspapers to all guests, they set up a stand so people who want them can take them.  


This is the first public compost bin I have ever seen.  It was at the Ferry Building Marketplace, which hosts a number of gourmet stores, restaurants and coffee shops, and the farmers' market. I composted my coffee cup at breakfast as well as my Walgreen's bag.



When you get right down to it, there are only really three things at the marketplace that have to go in the trash!



Bravo, San Francisco!  I hope more of these simple ideas can make their way to the East Coast.  (Actually, to be fair, there was very little you could put in the trash at the Eric Carle museum, and that was in Massachusetts, but you get my point, I hope.)

No comments: