Monday, June 8, 2009

Sudsy Green



I'm not totally sold on this laundry soap yet. I haven't done the math yet, except a brief estimate in my head, but the refills are pretty reasonable, and load-for-load I think it's not more expensive than standard laundry soap. It does claim to be biodegradable, non-toxic, and hypo-allergenic, which I like. The soap comes pre-measured and wrapped in cellulose (I think) that dissolves in the wash water. When I used it last weekend, I kept finding little pellets of undissolved soap in the bottom of the washer after it finished. Jamie, who was reluctant initially, said he had no problems with Nellie's at all. I thought perhaps my culprit was the gentle cycle that possibly did not provide enough time or agitation for the pellets to dissolve. This week, I tried dropping the pellets in and filling the washer before putting my clothes in, and I've had no issues. In fact, I leave my whites soaking overnight, and when I went to finish that load today, I could still see suds. My laundry seems to be clean enough so I'll give Nellie a little more time. I'm not sure where Nellie's is available locally, but I bought mine from Greenfeet, and I feel okay about that because Greenfeet buys carbon offsets for everything they ship. It's a great website so check it out - even if you don't want Nellie's All-Natural Laundry Nuggets in a cool, reusable tin.

P.S. Now that I have looked at the price again, it IS way more expensive than standard laundry soap. I will have to decide whether I want or need to live with that. I think I'll experiment with making my own laundry soap this summer, and that would be green and cheap so I'll let you know how that goes.

No comments: