Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Chubby Bunny Farm

Last summer, when I started my slow but steady crusade to save the environment, Karl was one of my first supporters, and he eagerly made some of his own changes. He also suggested that we join the local CSA. CSA, or community supported agriculture, is a way to support local farmers while also securing fresh, organic food for your home. CSA members pay for a share of the local harvest, up front; the farmer invests the money in operating expenses, like seeds, compost, utilities, and greenhouse supplies. When the harvest comes in, the members receive their locally grown produce. Brilliant! So Karl and I have split a share in the Chubby Bunny Farm. Next week, we pick up our first week of produce. So far, this investment has made me the happiest of all my green adventures, except, perhaps, for the lettuce that is growing in my front yard. Find a CSA and consider buying a share for next year. It's the single best way to THINK GLOBAL-ACT LOCAL.

No comments: