Monday, July 21, 2008

Summer Home in Stockbridge






Yeah, I wish.  But anyway...last Thursday, Jamie and I returned to Stockbridge to visit Naumkeag and Chesterwood.  Naumkeag was the summer cottage of the Choate family, brother of the Choate Rosemary Hall Choate.  It always strikes me as ironic that a summer cottage can be larger than my main school building at Kildonan, but it's a lovely home with an arresting landscape that I could not begin to do justice; for one thing, I still cannot shoot in bright sunlight.  The blue steps are apparently a famous design in the landscape field.  They are truly impressive.  If you have not visited this historic home in Stockbridge, I highly recommend it.

A stone's throw from the Norman Rockwell Museum, Chesterwood is the former home of Daniel Chester French, the sculptor best known for his statue of Abraham Lincoln at the Lincoln Monument.  The tour includes the grounds, French's home, and his studio.  I forgot to take pictures - how could I forget with that heavy camera around my neck.  Although the estate is interesting, we also experienced our third accidental contemporary art exhibit.  The Estate is hosting the Contemporary Sculpture Show until October 15.  (Our previous "accidental art" experiences were the Garden Gates at Norman Rockwell Museum and the MassMoCA exhibit at the Berkshire Botanical Garden).  I enjoyed the juxtaposition of those modern pieces and French's classical work.  

I'm not sure what we have on tap this Thursday, but since we're going Yankee Stadium on Wednesday (shh - don't tell Duncan - he's not going), it may be some restful vacationing at home while Duncan plays at daycare.  It's been a busy week!

No comments: