Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Dude, Where's My Blog? or, My Commencement Address

Oh my goodness, I am missing my blog.  It feels like home just to see this text box again, but I'm only here for a quick visit.  May was utterly insane at work, and June is not looking much better. Graduation is in two days.  Before then, I have to write and deliver two 3 minute speeches, write some reports, edit myriad reports, grade an exam, and say good-bye to some kids I love dearly as they head off into the future.  

It was hard enough for me, academic overachiever, 4th in my high school graduating class to stand at that pivotal moment and gaze with trepidation into what was to come.  I can only begin to imagine what the view is like when you're a student with a learning difference.  Having struggled your entire life because you learn differently than others; finally finding a place that lets you learn the way you need to and people who understand who you are and how your mind works; graduating from high school and achieving a goal many people in your past thought you would never be able to achieve; and then looking at doing it all again for 4 more years, in a new and bigger place, with new people, and larger challenges.  Exhilarating but terrifying.  I would be lying if I said I was not worried about you, but I know in my heart you have the tools to be successful. Besides all that academic stuff about Pythagoras, Shakespeare, and Pavlov, you have learned how to ask questions, how to play the system, and how to navigate the academic world to your advantage.  You know what it means to try hard.  As Barbara Corcoran pointed out at Career Day, you're not afraid to fail.  If  you do, you know that starting over is always an option.  You will be fine as long as work hard and remember where you came from and who believes in you.  I want to see how the story ends, and I hope we will meet on the other side of this great divide that is college, if not sooner.

So, yeah, to all of you who are not going through this whole graduation thing with me, I'll be back soon.  I have work to do and some letting go accompanied by some holding on.  I'm going to set myself a goal of writing a post every day for a month, beginning on a date yet to be determined, so we'll see how that goes.  More later.

No comments: