Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The House That Ruth Built


I'm fairly certain that Yankee Stadium was my idea.  I don't think it was a bad one.  Twenty years from now, I do not want my child to wonder how we let New York raze The House That Ruth Built before he could see it.  So tomorrow, we're going to Yankee Stadium to watch the Yankees play the Padres.  To be honest (and why would I stop now), the mere idea makes me tense. What kind of a loon takes a two year old on a train from Brewster to Grand Central and then the subway back to Yankee Stadium, watches a few innings of baseball, and then does it all over again, backward, to get home?  The potential for trouble is astronomical.  I have nightmares and daymares about people snatching my beautiful child, about him falling under a train, and about him expiring from exhaustion walking between the car and the platform at Southeast Station because we'll have to park a hyperbolic 67 miles away.  

Do you know what is making it worth the anxiety?  Duncan is ALREADY thrilled about the idea.  He and Jamie went to the Wassaic station yesterday to buy the tickets and happened to see Duncan's first, real, live train.  They talked about taking the train to "The City" to go to Yankee Stadium.  It's all he can talk about. Yankee Stadium...Yankee baseball...choo choo...all aboard. When I got home last night, he told me entire paragraphs about what he had done yesterday and about our plans for the trip.  He has been beaming like a searchlight in the longest Alaskan night of the year.  I will not allow my anxiety to interfere with my child's joy in this journey.  If yesterday was like Christmas, I can only imagine what tomorrow will bring.  

Take me out to the ball game.

PS - Happy Anniversary to Mom and Dad!

No comments: