Monday, January 10, 2011

The Polar Express

As part of our pre-Christmas shenanigans, we took Duncan for a ride on The Polar Express. This is a great local event (I've heard they have them in other locations). Children and their families board an historic train at the Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum in Lenox, MA. During the 20-30 minute trip to Stockbridge, a conductor punches the tickets and volunteers read the story aloud. At the Stockbridge station, passengers are treated to hot chocolate and cookies. Santa boards at Stockbridge and visits with all the children on the way back. Each child receives the gift of a silver bell from Santa, the first gift of Christmas!

It was a wet and rainy day, but the decorations at the station and on the train helped make it festive!


Children are encouraged to wear pajamas.  Many adults did too.



The Golden Ticket!

  

Waiting for Santa is HARD WORK!


The collective gasp of the children as Santa boarded the car was priceless. 

Even the wet December rain could not dampen the magic of Christmas!

If this is something you'd like to do, keep an eye on the tickets. Jamie ordered ours as soon as he heard they were on sale, and they had already sold MANY; I think that was in August. Jamie thought it was a little pricey for the event, but I really thought the return trip with Santa was magical. It made a believer out of me!

2 comments:

Pedroca's Blog said...

hi, really nice blog
I'll follow you
follow me too xD
byee

Unknown said...

Thanks! I wish I had time to write more, but don't we all?