Monday, February 2, 2009

January 10, 1996




Jamie and I went on our first date on January 10, 1996. We try to honor the anniversary every year; some years we come closer to the mark than others. When we can, we celebrate by going back to the site of our first date, The Daily Planet, in LaGrangeville. I ate the Mr. Green Jeans salad, which I don't think I've eaten since. It was good, but you only need to eat salad on first date. I remember exactly what I was wearing. We had to wait a few days after he asked me; I don't know if you remember January of 1996, but we had about 3 straight days of snow. Kildonan reopened late after winter break. About half the kids had made it back to campus, but the others were delayed by snow. The roads were still not great by the time we went to dinner on Wednesday, but I trusted his driving. We listened to a CD of B sides of U2 singles in the car. It was a good first date; we've been together ever since. This year, we took Duncan with us. It wasn't the same kind of a date, but sometimes a girl has to accept a third wheel, especially one who is less than 3 feet tall and prone to covering her with sloppy kisses. Maybe it's a new tradition; maybe it was just a nice date with my two favorite guys, but it was a lot of fun.

No comments: