Sunday, January 25, 2009

Snob

I am a parent snob. We just came back from the first non-family birthday party that we've allowed Duncan to go to. We were reluctant to go. In part, introverts don't DO birthday parties where they'll be forced to interact with strangers who happen to be the parents of their child's friends. (Somewhere, I'm sure the possessives went awry in that sentence). However, it's grossly unfair to withhold experiences from my child just because I won't enjoy them. Does he like the grocery store? I think not. Also, A and R (in case someone knows someone who knows someone who reads my blog) are not exactly the kind of kids I would choose my son to hang around with. They get in a lot of trouble among the toddler set, and R and Duncan are often in time-outs together. They are not good listeners when they are together. They were involved in vicious biting scandal of 2008. A and R take Hostess cupcakes for snack. I'm not exactly crunchy-granola-earth-friendly-organic mom, but I draw the line somewhere. Also, their Mom is about 20. That's a slight exaggeration; I'll say 24. A and R appear by all accounts as if their Mom did not hold back on the prenatal alcohol. And there seems to be no father present.

As it turns out, A and R's mom really is that young, and there was no noticeable father, but who cares? She put together a birthday party with healthy food and lots of fun for kids and adults. She brought coffee. She baked the birthday cakes. Oh yeah, and she's young and possibly single with twins... I can't even begin to imagine what that's like. So she doesn't say no a lot; she'll grow up. I met D and N's parents for the first time, and although I probably won't hang out and have coffee and play groups with them, it's nice to be able to put a face to the parents of Duncan's friends. It was weird how many adults, whom I have never met, know my child well enough to hug him at a birthday party. In the end, we were all glad we went.

In prepping for psychology this week, I read a lot about how first impressions really count, and how stereotypes develop, and how they are helpful and hurtful. All stereotypes aside, some people (me) can just get of her high horse and stop being such a parent snob.

No comments: