Thursday, November 5, 2015

Not Day Five

All this writing has me thinking about writing.  I guess that's the point, but it's also making me think a little about writing poetry.  I wrote this one as a sample for a presentation about using poetry in multisensory structured language lessons.  It's a list poem, but somehow, despite my intervention, it turned itself from a list into a poem.



What’s in my book bag?
One flat cereal bar from Trader Joe’s; A Pumpkin Walked Into a Bar,
it calls itself.
Four dead batteries, 3 rechargeable and 1 that isn’t.
A highlighter cap, mysteriously alone.
17 scattered paper clips.
Two folded and grubby dollar bills.
Adaptors for 3 different MacBook Pros.
Father’s Day cards never mailed; lost, replaced, found, and lost again.
A photograph of my 3 year old framed in a heart.
A guardian angel that carried me through devastating loss.

One key to a new life, gently used.

No comments: