Friday, March 25, 2016

Enter the New

Some time ago, when I began this blog, I was obsessed with knitting blogs.  I fantasized that I would become the sort of talented knitter (like The Yarn Harlot) who would achieve a degree of fame and (much less degree of) fortune through writing.  Nevertheless, I wanted to write, and I called my blog Knits and Nuts.  I liked to knit and was a tad...um...unique.  Quirky.  Maybe even nuts.  In subsequent years, when I found myself writing about any number of things, ranging from greener living, gardening, and travel, to parenting, teaching, dyslexia, ADHD, and reading, my sister-in-law pointed out to me that although she enjoyed my blog, I didn't write that much about knitting.  Or nuts.

It was a valid point.  And then it was a moot point because my life upheaved, and I didn't really write much about anything for at least 4 years during which Things Happened.

So this year, when I took on the 30 Day Writing Challenge (which I didn't finish, by the way), I realized how much I missed writing.  I decided that I needed a fresh start, and I might as well fix that whole Knits and Nuts business altogether.  In my non writing time, I spent a lot of time examining just what the common thread was; what were the common themes that compelled me to commit them to writing?  I realized that they all had to do with my stepping out of the safety and security of my comfort zone and trying new things, some more radical than others.  And so, about a year after turning 50, I took stock in how much newness I had brought into my life and how it had changed me.  I may be older, but I'm learning to try new things, and that changing perspective has had profound effects on my outlook, my little family, and our life together.  I hope you will join me as I continue to write about any number of things, ranging from greener living, gardening, and travel, to parenting, teaching, learning differences, dyslexia, ADHD, and reading.  And knitting.  And maybe even nuts.  Welcome to Older Dog; Newer Tricks.  Stick with me to learn more about where I've been and where I'm going.

No comments: