Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day

Today was off. All in all, it was a day of discontentment. Duncan whined a lot, I had fantasy plans to do a lot of things I didn't get to do, and I spent a lot of time doing things I didn't so much care about. I'm already wishing for a day to myself, in the house, to get some things done. At this point, I'd need at least two days; one to clean and one to catch up on everything else. Here's the lowdown.

Things I Had to Do:

grocery shopping
futile trip to auto parts store for wipers; they were closed
3 loads of laundry
at least two sinks full of dishes
pay Duncan's preschool tuition
drop off car at North East Muffler for yet more work
dinner (pork chops, macaroni and cheese, kale with pine nuts and raisins)
restock Duncan's emergency clothes for school

Things I Wanted to Do but Didn't:

walk 3 miles
write some of the blog entries queued up in my Stickies
finish Patricia Cornwell book
bake zucchini muffins
drop off Karl's vegetables
clean out masses of catalogs
order Jamie's birthday present
pick out cheesecake recipe for Jamie's birthday
pick apples and blueberries at Ellsworth

Things I Wound Up Doing That I Hadn't Planned to Get Done (or, YAY ME!):

grated and froze 2 zucchini for later use in muffins
made and froze 1 batch of pesto (first of the season, believe it or not)
pruned moldy leaves from squash, hopefully to let new leaves grow
counted the butternut squash (3! Woot!)
planted new crop of peas and beans
made enough macaroni and cheese to freeze 2 more meals

I'm tired. It was definitely a day of labor. Thankfully, I had tomorrow morning's OSHA presentation about blood borne pathogens to look forward to...and swiss chard again tomorrow. Good-bye summer.

No comments: